Relationship between Unit dd and MAX/MINSCALE

Tim ttsai at POBOX.COM
Wed Apr 27 11:35:22 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:02:56AM -0400, Ed McNierney wrote:
> If your units are DDs, you cannot express them in miles - it's
> meaningless, since the distance between any two points on such a map (in
> miles) depends on the latitude of the map and the angle of the distance
> being measured.

  Hmmm, does that mean my scalebar is meaningless?  Note that in this
case, I am referring to latitude only so technically I am only talking
about the horizontal distance and the distortion should be minimal.

> This is one of the reasons using "geographic" output
> projections for maps is, IMHO, a very poor practice that seems to be
> infesting the Web mapping world.

  Should I be using an equidistance projection then?  That's normally
OK except I am overlaying some information outside of MapServer
that's unprojected.

  Thanks,

  Tim