Relationship between Unit dd and MAX/MINSCALE

Camden Daily cdaily at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 27 11:55:59 EDT 2005

>   Hmmm, does that mean my scalebar is meaningless?  Note that in this
> case, I am referring to latitude only so technically I am only talking
> about the horizontal distance and the distortion should be minimal.

I'm pretty certain that the scalebar will be just fine.  Mapserver is
able to deal with the changing lat/long distances.

>   Should I be using an equidistance projection then?  That's normally
> OK except I am overlaying some information outside of MapServer
> that's unprojected.

Depends on what you're trying to do.  We use geographic projections
for all of our layers, and things work just fine.  While I can see
that the geographic projection can be slightly confusing in that the
points are not always equidistant, they still work fine for most
applications (especially when you're only dealing with limited
coverage areas).

Camden Daily
Prudential Preferred Properties
http://www.prupref.com