global mapping issues with orthographic projection

Ken Tanaka Ken.Tanaka at NOAA.GOV
Wed Apr 27 16:30:26 EDT 2005

As an update/resolution to this problem, we now have a corrected map
file that generates the image we want.
The resulting imag is online:
http://gdsg.ngdc.noaa.gov/starburst/OrthoOutlines.html
The image was positioned to correspond to the GOES-EAST geostationary
satellite data we will be processing.

Thanks again for the help from this email list.

===========
MAP
    IMAGETYPE GIF
    EXTENT -6400000 -6400000 6400000 6400000
    SHAPEPATH "/df_env/MMS/"

    PROJECTION
        "+proj=ortho"
        "+lat_0=0.0"
        "+lon_0=-75.0"
    END

# Start of LAYER DEFINITIONS ---------------------------------------------

    LAYER # States polygon layer begins here
        NAME states
        DATA "statesp020"
        STATUS off
        TYPE polygon

         CLASS
            COLOR 0 0 0
                OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
         END

        PROJECTION
           "init=epsg:4326"
        END
    END # States polygon layer ends here

    LAYER # Countries polygon layer begins here
        NAME countries
        DATA "countries"
        STATUS off
        TYPE polygon

         CLASS
            COLOR 0 0 0
                OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
         END

        PROJECTION
           "init=epsg:4326"
        END
    END # Countries polygon layer ends here

# End of LAYER DEFINITIONS ---------------------------------------------

END
===========

Ken Tanaka wrote:

> At the moment we are having some troubles with a "starburst" of stray
> feature lines that can be seen in this URL:
>
> http://gdsg.ngdc.noaa.gov/starburst/
>

>>> Our current approach is to generate the lines with MMS, and then use a
>>> separate step to merge the data (satellite image) with the outlines
>>> image,
>>> and produce the composite image seen in the above URL.
>>>

>> Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>> Is there a reason you don't have MapServer taking care of the image data
>> as well?
>>

> I think having MapServer handle the image data would be a good approach
> as well. We are currently trying MapServer out by replacing older
> software in an existing system. I'll need to find out why the merging is
> done separately, there may be a performance issue there.

Primarily we are taking this approach as an efficiency step. The data
images will remain in the same perspective, so we can use MapServer for
the  overlay one time for this perspective. This is potentially a large
number of images, especially if we are required to re-process the
existing archive.

-Ken

--
= Enterprise Data Services Division ===============
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |