Slightly off topic: Sounds like,Mapserver+GDAL+...

Julia Harrell julia.harrell at NCMAIL.NET
Mon Aug 1 13:07:32 EDT 2005

 >>This sounds like promptserver which is a product that has been
 >>out for a couple of years.  Did ESRI purchase promptserver or
 >>just borrow their ideas?

It is based on the PromptServer product, but I couldn't get a straight
answer as to whether ESRI bought the technology outright or licensed it
for use in their products. I suspect it is probably the latter, since
the PromptServer folks still had their own separate booth at the ESRI
conference.