[Projection problem] - simple translation

Gail Gail.Millin at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Aug 3 04:50:26 EDT 2005

Selim,

There are 4 places where projection information is specified in a mapfile.

1) The first is in the WEB object e.g. "wms_srs" "EPSG:27700" This gives the
projection the data is originally in, in this case you would specify 2 epsg
codes if you have data in two different projections. In my case the data is
originally in EPSG:27700

2) The PROJECTION object e.g. PROJECTION "init=epsg:4326" This tells
MapServer which projection the data should be viewed in therefore if the
data is not originally in this projection it will be projected on the fly to
the projection specified here. So in my case the data is reprojected to espg
4326

3) In the LAYER object there is a PROJECTION object within the LAYER object.
This should be specified the same as that within the PROJECTION object
towards the top of the mapfile, in my case this is EPSG 4326 (2). Finally in
the METADATA object which is also within the LAYER object the "wms_srs"
should be what the original data layer projection is so in my case this is
EPSG: 27700 (same as in the web object).

I hope you find this helpful and get the two layers showing up together.

Gail

Gail Rebecca Millin
Geodata Interoperability Support Officer
MIMAS
Manchester Computing
The University of Manchester
Oxford Road