Mapserver Setup Problems, Any Suggestions?

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 9 15:56:48 EDT 2005

On 8/8/05, Trevor Penney <Trevor.Penney at novageomatics.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having some problems with setting up mapserver, any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Basically I want to install mapserver. I have root access and Fedora Core 2.
> However, I can't use gcc to compile the mapserver from source, and
> unfortunately FGS isn't an option because I can't run more than 1 http.d, due
> for server reasons. Any suggestions on a work around, such as an RPM or
> something?

Trevor,

You should still be able to use FGS even if you don't use their bundled
apache.  But you will need to do a bit of additional work to setup your
apache so that it can use the FGS stuff.  Mostly adding the FGS lib
directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in apache.conf, and likely some php
magic.

Are you looking to use PHP or just MapServer in cgi mode?   If you
just need cgi, you could use FWTools which includes MapServer.
On my server use FWTools and I just drop a small wrapper script
in my cgi-bin directory to invoke it looking like:

#!/bin/sh

. /opt/FWTools-linux-0.9.6/fwtools_env.sh
exec /opt/FWTools-linux-0.9.6/bin/mapserv "$*"

The fwtools_env.sh script sets up the environment so I don't have to
fiddle with the apache.conf directly.

There are also rpms for Fedora available at:

  http://mappinghacks.com/rpm/

Best regards,