Handling multiple maps hierarchically

Tamas Szekeres szekeres.tamas at FREEMAIL.HU
Mon Aug 22 17:10:36 EDT 2005

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your suggestions.
I haven't work too much with WMS yet, but as far as I know if I have 400
maps (WMS layers), mapserver will start downloading all of the maps as a
raster image regardless of that only some of the maps will be drawn at the
same time (using proper MAXSCALE settings). Another performance issue is
that the high number of maps will appear in the filesystem as temporary
image file.
With tileindex the filtering of the maps falling out of the display area
takes place earlier than drawing of those maps.
I think it would be considerable to support drawing raster layers given
a .map file as the data source, so tileindex support would come into
account automatically.

Worthy of note that with the current Mapserver release (4.6.0) there is a
minor bug I've run into that the 2.nd WMS layer is created with ambiguous
temporary file name, see Bug #1312

Tamas Szekeres