ASP.NET and mapscript - unable to load DLL

Morten Nielsen mn at BLOMINFO.DK
Tue Aug 23 05:42:39 EDT 2005

>Placing the depended-on DLLs into the bin dir will do nothing.  I
>assume you're on a windows box.  Therefore the easiest way to take
>care of this is by placing all the DLLs (except for map_script) into
><windows>\system32 where <windows> is the system windows directory
>(c:\winnt, c:\windows, etc.).

Actually this is not correct. You can just put all of them in the bin
directory. I did this when I was playing with swig in v. 4.4.something.
This worked, but I had the threading issues as well, so often the app
crashed.
I tried playing with the 4.6.0 version as well (this time in a win app)
and at one point I seem to recall that I actually got the same error as
you describe. I can't remember what libraries there should be available,
but I think there should be some more? If you're using the default swig
setup, you should see three *_csharp.dll files (although they can be
combined to one single dll), as well as

Anyway, I finally gave up on trying combining Mapserver and .NET, and
started writing my own mapengine from scratch in .NET :-) Let me know if
you should be interested in the code.

>With that said, you're entering a world of pain by using C# map_script
>in ASP.NET.  Much of the map_script DLL is thread unsafe, that
>combined with ASP.NET's supremely weird threading model (e.g. virtual
>threads), you're going to encounter a plethora of problems.

I sure did :-)

Best regards
/Morten