WMS and ArcGIS

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 30 14:04:38 EDT 2005

Hi Gary,
 Usually the issue is due to the size of the image being requested by
ArcGIS. MapServer by default can create no bigger than a 2500x2500 pixel
image, so it is easy to exceed the size in a large ArcGIS map, or a small
ArcGIS map with high resolution, and have nothing rendered.
 Try zooming in to a small area to see if it makes a difference.
 Also try changing your print settings ... it seems that the resolution in
your print settings will affect it, a 600dpi print resolution will request
more than mapserver can send and only cover about 4inches of paper. ... This
got me for a long time, i was able to see the WMS layers, but not print
them.
 ArcGIS isn't smart enough to request multiple tiles when it hits this
problem, and ESRI has quietly buried the problem, last I checked I could
find nothing about it on their support / forum pages.
 On one occasion I went through the pain of using the temp images from my
mapserver website, importing them one by one to ArcGIS to get around the
problem.
 Cheers,
Ken Lord