which template engine for python mapscript ?

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Tue Dec 6 21:26:46 EST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 6:23 PM, karpi wrote:

> Hello all,
> I would like to start with python mapscript. But Im beginer in
> python, I
> would like split graphical design from programming stuff so I decided
> use some templating. But there are too much of such products, I do not
> know which template language best fits my requirements. I would like:
>
> - primary purpose is using mapserver python mapscript
> - best fitted for running under apache mod_python
> - lightweight, simple to use.
>

> Do you have someone any tips? any expiriencies?

karpi,

There's Django

   http://www.djangoproject.com/

It's being used at http://www.chicagocrime.org/, which also uses
PostGIS, but not mapscript.
It has a templating system that, to me, looks a bit like PHP. You can
also use Zope 3 page templates inside Django

   http://www.zope.org/Members/shh/DjangoPageTemplates

And there's Kid

   http://www.turbogears.org/about/kid.html

which is also sort of PHP-like.

I'm mostly a Zope page template person, but Django and Kid templates
seem to have a lot of momentum lately.

cheers,
Sean

---