[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WFS Server output in udig]

Jody Garnett jgarnett at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed Dec 7 14:54:41 EST 2005

Thanks Adam, I was not subscribed .... response inline.
Hey guys,

Not sure if any of you subscribe to the mapserver users list (and if so,
sorry for the spam), but in case none of you do,
Here is a problem that was brought up on the mapserver mailing list
related to uDig

--Adam
> Hi everyone,
>
> Either I totally don't get it at the moment or there is some small flaw in
> one of the softwares. I'm strugglin' to read the WFS output in udig, but
> only get java errors. the WFS services shown as examples on the Refraction
> website work OK. But even the demo data from the OGC Web Services Workshop
> wont compute in udig.

Checking the Compatibility page ...
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Compatability

> MapServer
>
>     * 4.6 WMS and WFS working
>     * 4.7 WMS and WFS working
>     * 4.8 WMS working, WFS is broken on the MapServer end
As I recall 4.8 had some issue with Intersects being declared
incorrectly in its capability
file are you using 4.8?

The only other thing I can suggest is this - is your schema file good? I
mean really good.

Why? uDig is *very* serious about your schema file, if we were using a
more relaxed approach
(using xpath to grab the geometry attributes along attributes mentioned
in your SLD expressions
then we would probably be okay). The downside would be dragging
everything into a DOM, or
breaking out a pull parser of some sort. The other technique is to
compile the schema into java
beans similar with a technology like JAXB (not scalable for a client app).

As it is we *run* the schema on top of a small stack computer, if your
schema is wrong, or data inconsistent
you will not get anywhere. The bright side is this lets us stream at
speed, into Objects.
We are on version 4 of our technology
(http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/OWS3/GTXML+Article).

In short: to stream, to be safe, to be fast we are the meanest test of
your schema out there.
> I'm using ms4w (latest version) and the XML from the WFS looks OK in the
> browser and comparing to others working in udig it seems to have no
> structural differences.
>
> Using the WFS with Mapserver itself as client works as well.
>
> Am I missing a small tweak in my mapfile or is this a known issue with udig
> (and therefore I should rewrite this question at some refractions list)?

Perhaps we should take this to the udig list, and play w/ strack traces
and so on ...
> I've been scanning the net and trying different settings in the mapfile now
> for a week and I'm kind of loosing it...

Eek, bug us first - we are always on freenode#udig (and
freenode#geotools), and email.

Jody