Having trouble displaying GeoTIFF raster data

Chieko Maene cmaene at UIC.EDU
Mon Dec 12 12:18:16 EST 2005

I have an 8-bit greyscale aerial photo GeoTiff image (with coordinates
information in the header) that I want to add to my map, but I cannot
seem to get it to work. The strange thing is, I don't get any error
message when rendering the output PNG image - and still there is no
aerial photo. My map and the GeoTiff are in the same coordinate system
(init=epsg:26971) so I thought simply adding a layer to the .map file
would work, but it didn't. I think I am missing something very simple
but don't know what. Will anybody please advise me? Any input would be
appreciated.

My test site is: http://cmaene.lib.uic.edu/apress/campusmap11.php

I am using PHP/mapscript 4.6 (MapServer for Windows, MS4W, pre-compiled
.exe version) on Microsoft-IIS/5.1, and here is the version string from
MapServer & MapScript:

MapServer version 4.6.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG
PHP MapScript Version  ($Revision: 1.235 $ $Date: 2005/06/14 16:03:35 $)

The layer info:
#####################################
# the output IMAGETYPE is PNG
# the input GeoTIFF is in the same SHAPEPATH
LAYER
   NAME "DOP04"
   TYPE RASTER
   STATUS on
   DATA "DOP4.tif"
   PROJECTION
	 "init=epsg:26971"
   END
END
#####################################

I tried:

- switchig layer status to "on" or "default"

- adding a world file (.tfw) to the GeoTiff
	0.550000000000000040
	0.0
	0.0
	-0.550000000000000040
	1159375.2749999999
	1900374.7250000003

- adding "PROCESSING" and/or "PROJECTION" classes to the layer in the
map file to make sure that the GeoTIFF file is read via GDAL.

- converting the GeoTiff to JPEG using Photoshop and then add a world
file (.jgw) - again, the airphoto didn't show-up, but no error message.

- converting the GeoTiff to PNG using tiff2png and PNG2, but the
conversion attempts failed (lack of memory?? original GeoTIFF is 350 MB,
or the header information wasn't read properly?)

I read (among other documents & threads):

MapServer how-to, Raster Data in MapServer 4.4
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/

- [Mapserver-users] How to force GDAL to read tiffs?
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0405/msg00025.html

- [Mapserver-users] How to force GDAL to read tiffs?
http://lists.dmsolutions.ca/pipermail/mapserver-users/2004-May/018352.html

- [ms4w-users] When will the next MS4W build be available
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/ms4w-users/2005-October/000310.html

- [Mapserver-users] Trans.: Gdal, geo tiff raster and mapserver
http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2004-May/013080.html