Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e tool

Jody Garnett jgarnett at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Dec 15 15:23:04 EST 2005

Bob Basques wrote:
> The biggest gain I can see with a XML approach, would be in the
> Cataloging of a look.
>
> Whole map THEMEs could be devised for everything from the MAP layers
> all the way out to how the html page itself could look.  The Map
> description chunk would just end up being a component of a whole PAGE
> view for example.
For a start on the themes please visit: http://colorbrewer.org/ it is
limited to themes right now but I think academia is moving on to symbols
etc...  What is great about this resource (in addition to being
interactive) is the meta data they have collected (I picture them
offering beer to undergrads to look at maps).

I hand this link out whenever I see a presentation where the "map" is
not understandable due to the different color reproduction on an projector.
> Once a "nice" looking map (THEME) has been built, these should be
> exportable as THEMES that can be used by anyone, either as a starting
> point or as is.  It would certainly be a nice way to maintain a look
> and feel across many services for an organization.
The data above that link above is available from the author, and would
make a great start for such a catalog.

Jody