Choosing the Choosers

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Fri Dec 16 20:23:38 EST 2005

Ed,

   You are right, my answer to Chip is probably confusing because I
did not read the RFC while writing it, so may have contradicted in in
places.

   The key misunderstanding is below though.  I am not talking about
the Foundation. I am talking about Mapserver, the project.  Someone
has to represent Mapserver, the project, in discussions with other
Foundation partners, and in making final decisions on how/if/when
Mapserver, the project, joins the Foundation.

   I am proposing that Mapserver already has a decision making body,
the MTSC, and that they take responsibility for making the decisions
on how/if/when/what regarding the Mapserver project and its
relationship to the Foundation.  You are right in pointing out that
the current MTSC RFC delegates "non-technical" issues to "someone
else", but I am proposing that, in the absence of actually having
someone else, the MTSC is as good a body as any to steer us through
the next several months, provided they make their decisions in an
open way, so as to avoid the Shock and Awe situation faced by the
open letter.

   You are right, the MTSC cannot make decisions by "polling people
on an email list", but they *can* make better decisions by polling
people, then voting in the normal way as given in the RFC.  Had the
open letter writers had the freedom to "poll people on an email list"
they would not have
made their initial mistake in naming decisions.  MTSC will have that
freedom, and given that, I could not ask for a better group of people
to actually make the decisions.

Paul