mysql?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Dec 21 22:37:52 EST 2005

On 12/21/05, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have seen on the home page that MapServer supports MySQL tables via OGR,
> which however does not have support for spatial data. Could someone point out
> a resource to understand this better, or give us a brief overview of MySQL
> support in UMN MS?

Paolo,

I would add that over the next few weeks Howard Butler and I
will be extending OGR with quite complete support for the MySQL
spatial capabilities.  This work is being supported by the Canadian
Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

So, for those wanting to use the spatial capabilities of MySQL
in MapServer or other OGR enabled applications, hopefully something
will be available pretty soon.  Contact Howard or I if you want to do
early testing.

I would stress that MySQL's spatial support still falls short of
what PostGIS does for you in a number of ways, but for those
just wanting to hold and query spatial data efficiently it well might
be a good solution.

Best regards,