Poll: MapServer and Autodesk

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Fri Dec 23 00:25:31 EST 2005

On December 22, 2005 19:48, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Describing one option as "making open source web mapping the platform of
> choice" and the other as "competing directly with the new brand name
> that will be created and heavily promoted by Autodesk" is rather far
> from being a neutral presentation!

What's to be neutral about?  We've just laid out the potential result of one
decision over the other.  The purpose of doing so is to draw your mind into
the future ramifications and not just let you make a quick 'neutral'
decision.  I know it might across as a somewhat stark comparison, but the
word "compete" doesn't have to be a dirty word we just recognise that its
opposite is often more beneficial.  Choice (a) isn't going to be all roses
and sweet sunshine, just as much as choice (b) isn't going to be all fire and
brimstone.  They are two extremes with lots of unknown opportunities for
failure and success buried deep within.  [I'm getting poetic, I must be
taking this too seriously :) ]

> If option (b) encompasses something
> like the scenario I mentioned (a "product line" name that is a new name,
> not derived from either existing brand, and product names based on the
> "familiar" names currently in use) then yes, you're right.

Option (b) was precisely that - Autodesk not supporting a "MapServer
Foundation", but something more generic, and no MapServer name as part of
Autodesk's project.

> But that
> wouldn't be "competing directly with the new brand name" any more than
> "MapServer Cheetah" and "MapServer Enterprise" are, so I'm confused.

Our preamble to the poll was a bit long-winded.  The short version would read:

Autodesk will be putting substantial resources behind their product.  If their
product is called MapServer <something>, then their promotion will also speak
of MapServer and draw attention to it.  If their product is not called
MapServer, it will be called something different and their won't be a common
brand to market, promote, etc.  And that's okay, but we just want the
community to see that the name is an important variable in how things will
unfold.

> But it is
> misleading to claim that with the right branding and labeling one can
> cause the products to not compete, or to think that if they're managed
> by separate foundations they're competing and if they're managed by the
> same foundation they're not competing.

It's not about whether they are under the same foundation or not - it's
whether or not they share the same name for the products.

Gary likes MapServer and isn't going to launch a war against it.  However, the
reality is that the Autodesk marketing machine will be focused on promoting
the "best open source enterprise-level web mapping system available".  If
their product isn't the best, they will be seeking to make it the best and
the story goes on.   Is this competition?

What is promoted?  The product's brand will be.  It is not the foundation
brand that is promoted, it is always a product brand.  If there are two
products using that brand, then they both benefit from the promotion.  To
"not compete" merely means to share branding.  Of course competition can't be
completely avoided, we all know there are two distinct products that have
some overlapping capabilities.  The idea is to try to find the easiest way to
help them coexist.  If that's not possible at the naming level, then so be
it...there will still be some synergies at the foundation level and some
cross pollination which will be good.

Thanks for the debate.

Tyler