Poll: MapServer and Autodesk

Gary Lang gary.lang at AUTODESK.COM
Fri Dec 23 01:16:28 EST 2005

Ed,

I covered our thoughts about the naming weeks ago. I just want to make sure that the community understands the ramifications of following their wishes. I am not sure it does because I never gave it a chance to by explaining the open letter signers' motivation for the idea in the first place.

As to your c) comment, I don't get it. Sorry for being dense, but how does your approach differ substantively from b) in the poll question other than calling the foundation WMF  (which means Windows Meta File in the larger software world, BTW)?

The point behind b) is simply that the foundation needs a different name than MapServer Foundation if we (Autodesk) are going to put our product into it. I can't imagine Tom Burke signing over MapServer to a "MapGuide Foundation". The motivation behind all this should be pretty plain.

Gary