Default Worldfile?

Sage Lichtenwalner sage at MARINE.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Dec 23 10:26:20 EST 2005

2 Replies follow...

Adam Hill wrote:
> You could also use ?PARAM=FILE3.TIFF in the URL and use runtime
> substitution in the .map file
> See: http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/runsub for an example.

This is fine for changing the DATA parameter on the fly (my preference
would be to do so via MapScript), however, since the worldfile must have
the same name as the data file, I see no way to specify a second parameter
for just the worldfile, which in my case would stay constant regardless of
the DATA file.

Perhaps such a parameter exists and I've overlooked it, but if it doesn't,
I think it would be a useful feature to add.

Lowell Filak writes:
> Could you do something like:
> find . -name '*.tif' -exec perl -e
> 'for(@ARGV){$o=$_;$o=~s/\.tif/\.wld/;system("ln -s standard.wld $o")}' {}
> \;
>
> Not elegant but at least it doesn't take up redundant space.
>
> Lowell

An interesting solution, and I guess you love your Reg-ex ;).  However,
since I have 4-5 new files arriving every day (I'm working with real-time
AVHRR SST, among other datasets), I'd like to avoid having to dynamically
create the corresponding worldfiles on the fly.  But this may be my best
option for the near-future, so thanks for the clever suggestion.

Actually, since I'm working with HDF4 files, if the embedded navigation
metadata was correct, perhaps GDAL would interpret the location
information without the need for a worldfile.  Can anyone confirm this?

I suppose this would be the ideal solution, but in order to get it to
work, I'd need to figure out how to either:
a) hack GDAL to reinterpret the location information in my (crummy
formatted) HDF files, or
b) write a script to rewrite all my HDF files with a more standard
metadata format.

In the long run, I guess either would be ideal, over creating individual
worldfiles.  So, does anyone have any recommendations?

Hope everyone has a good weekend, filled with lots of cartographic cadeaux.

Cheerio,

Sage
Sage Lichtenwalner
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences
71 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Phone: (732) 932-6555 x533