Raster Analysis and MapServer

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Fri Dec 23 12:48:28 EST 2005

>>>tractor during the upcoming feasibility study.
>>>

>Bob,
>
>Good points. As far as timeouts go, any lengthy process could cause timeout
>issues no matter if it's a web service or connected on the back-end. The
>timeout would just cascade to the front-end anyways.
>I believe the grass-server project (which I can't locate now) intended to
>supply a web service of sorts but was very limited (raster & read-only).? I
>think it was based on grasslib... But then that's what the feasibility study
>is for.

Exactly why I brought it up now.  You mentioned you were looking at the
basics.  I've personnelly really dived into the "Services" idea of data
distribution, where a common data structure is used btween services and
then make each service as standalone as possible.  It helps out with so
many things like keeping the data up to date and distributing in a
timely manner.

The next step is to build the Data access and editing tools via the same
model.

bobb