Unicode legend and scalebar text?

Steve Hall steve.hall at MERCATORGEOSYSTEMS.CO.UK
Wed Feb 23 11:15:05 EST 2005

OK - I think i've just worked out my Legend issue - I forgot to put an ENCODING entry in the legend's LABEL section (set to UTF-8).

But my questions re: the scalebar still stands.

Thanks

Steve

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Hall
  To: mapserver-users at lists.umn.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:25 PM
  Subject: Unicode legend and scalebar text?

  Hi all,

  I've successfully been using the new ENCODING map file setting to successfully display Chinese annotation on my maps - and it works excellently!  However, i'd also like the Legend and Scalebar to have some kind of support for unicode character sets & localization in general.  Is this possible?  I'm *not* using the HTML legend in this case...

  I seem to remember reading somewhere that .map files must always be ASCII and not unicode.  Is this true?  Under this assumption I have tried to use PHP/MapScript to dynamically change the class name to the appropriate unicode value.  This seems to "half work".  I am getting chinese characters in the legend but only half the number I would expect.  Sounds to me like some code somewhere is assuming that the number of characters is the same as the number of bytes inside the MapServer internals.  Can anyone comment on this - or should I post this to mapserver-dev perhaps?

  Also is it possible to change the "mi" (for example) on the scalebar to some "localized" value?  Additionally can the "." character be altered as some European countries use a comma instead of a full-stop.

  Many thanks,

  Steve H