Terraservice data not aligning

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jan 3 11:53:36 EST 2005

Camden -

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but maintaining a nationwide database
of highly accurate street data is a very expensive proposition.  It is
difficult for vendors to make that investment if they intend to
distribut it for "not much money".  Like many things, you get what you
pay for; I do not know of any data set that is better than TIGER that is
also inexpensive.  Do you need the entire US?  There certainly may be
local data sets both inside and outside the Great State of Texas that
are better than TIGER.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Camden Daily
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:32 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Terraservice data not aligning

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like you all might be
right about the tiger/line data causing my difficulties.  I'm glad that
they're upgrading the dataset, but if I find that I can't wait for it to
get better, does anyone have good suggestions as to where I could get
good replacement data for not much money?

Also, I'd be interested in trying to hack the terraservice layer into
fitting my slightly offset tiger/line data.  Anyone know a way I can
pass a slightly offset extent to the terraservice server, or somehow
offset the layer within mapserver?

-Camden Daily