Terraservice data not aligning

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jan 3 12:47:23 EST 2005

Camden -

If you could tweak the extents it wouldn't fix your problem; the WMS
server would return a different image at those coordinates.  You're
trying to get the SAME image to be displayed at DIFFERENT coordinates.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Camden Daily
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 12:13 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Terraservice data not aligning

I think the TIGER data is quite incredible for being free.  Even if it's
not perfectly accurate, it's certainly good enough for most
applications.  In fact, if I wasn't trying to overlay it on the
terraservice data, I wouldn't have even noticed that it was off.

I only need data for the state of Illinois, and while they have some
good GIS data on the state web site, it doesn't include street level
data.

I have a question about WMS layers in Mapserver.  When I get the layer
from terraservice, I use the lines:

    CONNECTION
"http://terraservice.net/ogcmap.ashx?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=wms&LAYERS=ur
banarea&FORMAT=image/jpeg&STYLES="
    METADATA
     "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
    END

Now, I assume that mapserver also sends it the extents that are needed.
Is there a way I could tweak those extents before they get sent to
terraservice?  If I could offset them just slightly to match my TIGER
data, that'd be wonderful.

Thanks for the help everyone,
-Camden