dbf on a Geotiff

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 11 10:53:41 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:23:05 +0100, Wouter Schaubroeck
<wouter.schaubroeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got here several Geotiffs and i have to add a point layer, the
> problem no is, that i don't have a shape file. Instead i have to work
> with a dbf file that contains my point coördinates. Is there a special
> tool or something that could do that for me, or perhaps some algorithm?
>
> Many thanks and regards
>
> Wouter Schaubroeck

Wouter,

There is a mechanism via OGR to take some non-spatial tablular
data sources, and "interprete" an x and y column to display point layers.
This can be found in the Wiki at:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData

The examples talk about accessing the table via ODBC but in your case
you can just specify the path to the .dbf file in your <SrcDataSource>.
Skip over the ODBC related stuff and go to the part about creating
a virtual data source.

You will need a MapServer with OGR support built in.  I believe most
of the distributed binary builds include OGR.

Best regards,