mapserver with python

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Wed Jan 12 09:55:40 EST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 3:28 AM, orkun wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>> On Jan 11, 2005, at 3:52 AM, orkun wrote:
>>
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I need to build mapscript application with python.
>>> I would like see examples and tutors for python.
>>>
>>> if you supply I will appreciate
>>>
>>> kind regards
>>>

>>> Ahmet Temiz
>>>

>> Ahmet,
>>
>> Mapscript how-to docs and API reference are in the MapServer 4.4
>> source under
>>
>>    mapserver/mapscript/doc/
>>
>> and I also maintain them online at
>>
>>   http://users.frii.com/sgillies/projects/mapscript/
>>
>> Please write if you need more help or clarification about these
>> documents.  In the meanwhile, I will try to find some helpful
>> examples.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sean
>>
>> --
>> Sean Gillies
>> sgillies at frii dot com
>> http://users.frii.com/sgillies
>>

> Sean,
> Thank you for your interest.
>
> Your web site is highly informative on the subject of python_mapscript.
> I am not experienced in python, so additional examples will be useful
> for me.
> I dealt with php_mapscript. But for better performance, I want to try
> python .
> I want to know your idea about how you compare python with php.
>
> kind regards
>
> Ahmet Temiz

Ahmet,

You are welcome.  Python mapscript is not going to be faster than PHP.
Most of the work is done by C code that  all the mapscript modules
share and PHP is unrivaled for serving web pages and imagery that have
a relatively small amount of logic behind them.  If you are creating
larger applications with a web interface you will really benefit from
switching to an OO language like Python (or Java, although I think
that's going too far :).  The code is simple, easy to profile and test,
and can take advantage of a lot of excellent modules that are not
available for PHP (such as GDAL/OGR and Numeric/SciPy).

The only downside of using Python is that there are too many choices of
web frameworks, and so expertise and support get a bit diluted.  This
situation is improving rapidly.

Sean

--
Sean Gillies