TIFF displays and displays not

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Thu Jan 13 05:06:53 EST 2005

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

It seems to be a problem on the image side. I don't understand why, but
although it displays nicely in ArcView and Photoshop, the screen keeps
blank with Mapserver. (I had the impression that ArcExplorer-Java for
Mac didn't display it either.) But when I exported the TIF in ERDAS as
GeoTIF and loaded it into the app it worked.

Stef

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>
>> Ed,
>>
>> thanks for that.
>>
>> Still, I can't see the reason for that. I have two TIFF images, which
>> seem to be perfectly similar. I have saved them both from Photoshop.
>> So
>> no GeoTIIFF, only normal TIFF.
>>
>> How do I get the "mapserv -v" on a Windows machine?
>
> Change directory to your cgi-bin and type
> mapserv.exe -v
>>
>> The Linux machine is giving me this:
>> MapServer version 4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
>> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
>> SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
>> INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
>> INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>>
> Recently I had trouble on Linux, having both native INPUT=TIFF and
> INPUT=GDAL. The gdal tiff support is more powerful then mapserv native
> solution so configure mapserverver --without-tiff and --with-gdal.
> I check my windows mapserv.exe which I downloaded in a binary pachage,
> and
> no INPUT=TIFF support involved.
>
> Bye
> Zoltan
>

>>> Stefan -
>>>
>>> The first thing I'd do is run "mapserv -v" on each machine and look
>>> for configuration differences in your two MapServer installations.
>>> Also, check whether both are GeoTIFFs.
>>>
>>>      - Ed
>>>
>>> Ed McNierney
>>> President and Chief Mapmaker
>>> TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
>>> 73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
>>> North Chelmsford, MA  01863
>>> ed at topozone.com
>>> (978) 251-4242

>>> ago. Sure, this can't be the reason. But .... Actually, I have no