Need Help Displaying Info from DBFs

Michael Elepano michael at LIVEPROCESS.COM
Fri Jan 14 16:03:40 EST 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Skweda O'Bomsawin wrote:

> AFAIK, your server will crash with this mapfile...  Fisrt, you need a
> shp
> file as DATA, not the dbf (what we call a shapefile is actually made
> of 3 or
> more files: a shp (geographic information), a shx (index info) and a
> dbf
> (tabular information related to the shp)).  Mapserver uses the shp to
> display geographic information.  The dbf is only used to filter this
> information or to query the geographic info.

Actually, the server does not crash with my DATA.  It seems MapServer
disregards everything after (and including) the dot on the DATA name.
So, in the example below, I can have "counties.foo" as my DATA and the
shape file will still load properly.

To answer your questions, "counties" consists of a shp, shx, and dbf.
"avalanche" only has a dbf.

I have discovered something interesting:  In the example below, it
seems the JOIN doesn't respond regardless what I place as the TABLE,
FROM, and TO.  I can use:
        TABLE "this_is"
        FROM "complete"
        TO "nonsense"
and no errors will be generated.  Am I doing something wrong?  Should
the JOIN be in the CLASS or in the LAYER?

BTW, I'm on MapServer 4.3

TIA

Michael