Pass information from CGI through Map file to OVF file and do a SQL Where

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 14 16:29:53 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:03:01 -0800, Todd Birkenholtz
<toddbirkey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to pass more information through the CGI URL ?
>
> I want to be able to use that variable and pass it to my OVF file and do a
> SQL "Where"  to get that locations Longitude Latitude. Then I will place a
> symbol at that location.
>
> http://localhost/mapserver.exe?map=c:\inetpub\wwwroot\maptest\wanmap.map&mode=map&layer=states&place=xmarksthespot
>

> I think the OVF will look something like this....
> <OGRVRTDataSource>
>        <OGRVRTLayer name="MyPoints">
>         <SrcDataSource>ODBC:user/user at things,stuff</SrcDataSource>
>
>         <SrcSQL>SELECT lat,lon from secretplaces where
> thespot='???Information from CGI ???'</SrcSQL>
>         <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
>         <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="lon" y="lat"/>
>       </OGRVRTLayer>
>   </OGRVRTDataSource>

Todd,

I would suggest you read over:
 http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/mapfile-reference.html#variablesubstitution

I have never tried it myself, but I think it is what you want.  Also, you will
need to be quite careful about "escaping" stuff if you have odd values.

Best regards,