Workshop Demo errors

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at CBS.UMN.EDU
Thu Jan 20 13:01:48 EST 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 07:52 am, Ron Swain [Contractor] wrote:
> I have been beating my head for almost a week now on this issue.  I am
> running Apache  server on Windows, installed the Mapserver 4.4 binary
> correctly.  The command line mapserv -v runs perfectly.  I have
> downloaded and installed the Itasca Workshop demo from:
>
> http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/workshop.zip
>
> I have modified the index.html as follows:
>
>     <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->
>
>             <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv"
> onSubmit="submit_form()">

Try:  <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe"
onSubmit="submit_form()">

>       <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/htdocs/workshop">

Try:  <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/workshop">

>       <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath"
> value="/htdocs/tmp/">

Try:   <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="C:/Program
Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/htdocs/tmp/">

> When I bring up the index.html file in the webbrowser and select [Basic
> Application] Select Initialize - I see the following error:
>

> Internal Server Error

> unable to complete your request.
>
> Please contact the server administrator, ron.swain at cipc.navy.mil and
> inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
> done that may have caused the error.

This may be caused by many things--file/directory permissions, Windows
firewall, Apache configuration, etc.  It could also be because you're using
Windows 2000 (or some other pre-XP Windows) and need some of the libraries
used to compile MapServer itself, i.e.  the msvcr70.dll.  You can get this by
running Windows Update and selecting .Net-whatever from the list of
recommended updates.  You can also download this manually from Microsoft.

I don't use Windows that much anymore so I can't give you anything specific
that needs to be done.  If you've done everything and still can't get it to
work, give MS4W from maptools.org a try.  I tried it recently and it worked
well.  There was a Windows firewall message that popped-up when I ran the
Apache install script...  something about some rule that Apache needs to
change (you want Apache to change it).  Whatever this rule is, it might be
what's screwing up your MapServer app.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

Good luck!
-Perry

--
Pericles S. Nacionales

Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
University of Minnesota
work: 612 624 6713
e-mail: nacional at cbs.umn.edu