projection questions

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 21 14:07:35 EST 2005

Hi Jeff,

Data that you are used to seeing as lat/long / geographic will appear
to be skewed in the manner you describe if you view it reprojected
into UTM or other projection systems and depending on where on the
earth it is located. ... It's not necessarily wrong, just different
and can take time to get used to.

There are three parameters effected by projections that make maps
appear very different ... shape of an object,  distance between
objects, and area of an object.  Generaly any particular projection
will handle 2 of the 3 well, so maps tend to be made using particular
projections for particular uses in particular regions.

Now if the earth were flat, we wouldn't have all these issues when
squishing 3d data onto 2d map images.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC