projection questions

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jan 24 14:33:10 EST 2005

Jeff -

You're confusing this New Englander with your definition of "New England" <g>.  It doesn't include Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania doesn't have much of a coast, and the coast from New York City to Eastport, Maine runs 4.2 degrees north and 7.0 degrees east, which is quite a bit closer to east than north, particularly in a lat/lon projection!

I think you're being misled by your MapPoint map.  I'm going to guess that it uses something like an Albers projection centered on the continent.  This will cause the eastern portions of the US to appear to rotate counterclockwise.

As a simple check, the northern borders of Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts are all generally straight lines running east-west at constant latitude.  Are they running straight right to left on your Map Point map, or are they running at an angle?

Stretching the extents will not reproject the image.  If your MapPoint map doesn't have the Connecticut-Massachusetts border as a right-left line, no amount of X and Y stretching will rotate it into the place you expect.

If you want to duplicate the MapPoint map, the first thing you need to do is find out what projection it uses.  It sounds like it is NOT the projection you think it is, and I don't think it's very productive to try to guess at it.

     - Ed

P.S. Please remember to always send replies to the whole list - thanks!

Ed McNierney
TopoZone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Portwine [mailto:jdport at veritime.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:16 AM
To: Ed McNierney
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] projection questions

> Have you looked at the coordinate values in your files?  Are they
> plausible geographic
> (latitude/longitude) numbers?

Yes, they do appear to be geographic lat/long numbers, and all of my data
sets seem to use the NAD83 datum.

> But I'm a bit puzzled about your coastline comment - there is very little
> "north/south"
> coastline in the northeastern US.  It runs east/west or
> northeast/southwest most of the time.

Basically, the coastline from Pennsylvania up to Maine runs roughly to the
northeast, but more north-south than east-west.    My map via mapserver
appears to be more east west.

It's possible that microsoft mappoint just prints out screwy maps... but I'm
trying to duplicate this map that was sent to me that was created in
mappointe and I just can't seem to do it.   I tried to set the extents for
my output to match what the extents appear to be in the mappoint map
(looking at cities that are close to the borders of the map and using the
lat/long of those cities as my extents).   I would think that mapserver
would generate an image that would stretch or compress to fill the "image
size" and I figured that would make the maps look alike (if I created an
image size that was the same as or proportional to the map point map image
size).   It doesn't seem to do that though, regardless of what I set the Y
extents to , it shows the same range, just shifts the map north or south.

I am not sure if i'm expressing myself right, I hope you understand what I'm
trying to do and what I'm actually seeing.    Perhaps I could send you
images if you don't understand what I mean.

Thanks,
Jeff

- Ed