projection questions

Mon Jan 24 15:32:58 EST 2005

Jeff Portwine wrote:
> Well, I guess I didn't mean specifically "New England" but the general
> area.... my map includes most of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts,
> Conneticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, and part of Maine.
>
> It is entirely possible that as you said i'm being misled by the Map Point
> map... and that I just have to get used to how this looks , but
> regardless I
> need to understand what's going on so that when the people I'm doing this
> for ask me I can explain the difference :)
>
> I put up a quick and dirty web page:   http://www.aiedail.net/maps  so that
> you can see exactly what I'm talking about (I didn't want to attach images
> to an email for the entire list).    I hope that these images will
> demonstrate what i've been trying to write in text.

It looks like your map is in a latlong projection and the mappoint map
(just guessing because I have a large printed wall map) may be in a
transverse Mercator projection.

> I'm not actually using mappoint data to create the map, so I have no idea
> how they project the data when they generate maps...  but I can't really
> seem to make my output look any different regardless of what I use for
> output projection.

You can change you output projection all you want it it will not change
the look of the map one bit unless you set the input projection of each
layer. If you data is all in lat,long then you should set the PROJECTION
block in each layer to PROJECTION "proj=latlong" END and then add a
PROJECTION ... END block to the map section of the mapfile for the
output projection.