projection woes

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Jan 25 12:38:46 EST 2005

Matt -

It's not a matter of MapServer being picky - the "epsg" is actually a
filename, and on case-sensitive operating systems, case matters.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Matthew Perry
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:32 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] projection woes

You might try using "init=epsg:26717" instead of "init=EPSG:26717". I
know that some versions of mapserver are picky about this
capitalization.

Other than that, your mapfile looks like it should work.

Matt Perry
Humboldt State University

--- Mark Adams <markadams at CUESTASYS.COM> wrote:

> I've included my map file below.
>
> Regarding Stephen Woodbridge's response, the data in all files is in
> zone 17, the only difference is the datum; and I can confirm that the
> data really is there. As I indicated, if I don't include the
> projection block on the layer the data shows, just shifted because of
> the different datum. (Also working with it in ArcMap etc.)
>
> If it's likely that that I either don't have the right files, or for
> some reason they aren't being found, how can I test this, and how do I

> know which files I need? Incidentally, I installed proj.4 from the
> proj446_win32_bin.zip distribution; and I'm running on Win2000, IIS 5.
>

> -----map file------
>
> #
> # Start of map file
> #
> MAP
>   NAME "MVCA_GeoPortal"
>   STATUS ON
>   EXTENT 433350 4813769 546722 4889572
>   SIZE 682 456
>   #SIZE 674 474
>   SHAPEPATH "..\Data\Shapefiles"
>   #TEMPLATEPATTERN "MVCA_GeoPortal"
>   SYMBOLSET "GeoPortal.symbols"
>   #fonset added AD 13-Jul-04
>   FONTSET "GeoPortal.fonts"
>   #IMAGETYPE PNG
>   #IMAGETYPE swf
>   #IMAGETYPE png24bit
>   IMAGETYPE gif
>   #IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
>   UNITS METERS
>   OUTPUTFORMAT
>     NAME gif
>     DRIVER "GD/GIF"
>     MIMETYPE "image/gif"
>     IMAGEMODE PC256
>     EXTENSION "gif"
>     TRANSPARENT ON
>   END
>   OUTPUTFORMAT
>     NAME png24bit
>     DRIVER "GD/PNG"
>     MIMETYPE "image/png"
>     IMAGEMODE rgb
>     FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
>   END
>   OUTPUTFORMAT
>     NAME swf
>     DRIVER "SWF"
>     MIMETYPE "application/x-shockwave-flash"
>     EXTENSION "swf"
>     IMAGEMODE PC256
>     FORMATOPTION "OUTPUT_MOVIE=SINGLE"
>   END
>   #
>   # Start of web interface definition (including WMS enabling
> metadata)
>   #
>   WEB
>     #MINSCALE 500
>     MAXSCALE 1550000
>     IMAGEPATH "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tmp\"
>     IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
>     HEADER "templates/header.html"
>     FOOTER "templates/footer.html"
>     TEMPLATE "set in index.html"
>     METADATA
>       "WMS_TITLE"    "MVCA MapServer GeoPortal"
>       "WMS_ABSTRACT"    "This is MapServer
> application using data from Maitland Valley Conservation Authority."
> [...]
"http://navigator/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mapserver_d
emos\MVCA_GeoPortal\config\MVCA_GeoPortal.map&"

=== message truncated ===