Auto Angle for TextSymbolizer Through SLD

John Fletcher jfletcher at LATITUDEGEO.COM
Tue Jan 25 18:12:55 EST 2005

Is there currently a way to render a label along a line, similar to
using ANGLE AUTO in a mapfile, through an SLD request?  The Mapserver
SLD How-To mentions that only PointPlacement is supported (my geometry
type is line, of course), though it mentions that the Angle element
should be translated to the mapfile ANGLE equivalent.  So, I thought I'd
give it a shot...

<LabelPlacement>
  <PointPlacement>
    <Angle>AUTO</Angle>
  </PointPlacement>
</LabelPlacement>

This didn't work, and I also tried substuting Rotation for Angle (for
SLD spec compliance in case there was an error in the How-To), but that
did not work either.  My label draws over the line feature, just not
rotated like ANGLE AUTO does.

There don't seem to be any other options for me to try so I'm not too
hopeful, but if someone could confirm whether it's possible either way
I'd be grateful.