netCDF in a mapfile

Lowe, D (Dominic) D.Lowe at RL.AC.UK
Wed Jan 26 06:10:32 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm also interested in displaying netCDF (atmospheric/oceanographic) data.
So far I've got a GMT generated file 'displayed' but I can only see it as a
black rectangle. This suggests the GMT driver is working ok. However, any
type of color expression eg:
  COLOR
    # some attempt at color mapping here
  END

just results in a blank image.

Has anyone got any idea as to what a correct COLOR mapping would look like
for a GMT file?

Sorry I haven't got the gdalinfo output available now, but I can send it
tomorrow if it helps.

Cheers

Dominic

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Fri 21/01/2005 20:47
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] netCDF in a mapfile

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:58:55 +0100, Tony Jolibois <tjolibois at cls.fr> wrote:
>            Hi all,
>
>  I try to display  netCDF file with the GDAL driver, but no succeed.
>
>  The gdalinfo give a good response, but I don't know how I can specifie my
> variable and the depth for the layer in the mapfile (it is a 3 dimension
>  variable).
>  Can anyone help me ?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>  Tony
>
>  gdal from CVS today
>  mapserver 4.4.1
>  on linux AS
>
>  gdalinfo :
>  Driver: netCDF/network Common Data Format
>  Size is 8, 129

Tony,

I doubt that the above is really a meaningful response
in this case.  I think GDAL is picking the wrong
dimension for x.  The netCDF driver also doesn't
handle multiple variables in one netCDF file gracefully.

As it happens, you are once again operating on the
frontier I am interested in advancing.  In particular,
I am interested in improving the netCDF driver.

Would you mind pointing me to the netCDF file
in question so I can try and use it as an example
while I work on the driver.

Best regards,
--
warmerdam at pobox.com