question about the installation of mapserver

Mohamed Elshayal elshayal at SMARTWEBONLINE.COM
Sun Jul 3 19:56:19 EDT 2005

question abo ut the installation of mapserverHi xiaochun

Mapserver is a cgi software ( comman gate Interface )
CGI is an executable EXE file wich can run on your server   ( needs special permission from your admin )
Mapserver receive your parameters and use them to create a map raster image

These parameters are
1 - Layers Names
2 - coordinates
3 - data subdirectory which where cgi.exe can find your ( .shp , .shx , .dbf )
4 - output subdirectory which where cgi.exe will produce the map raster image
5 - required function such as ( zoom in , zoom out , pan , etc. )
6 - and other lots of parameters

So You write your internet site by HTML language
and You send the parameters by html and  java script languages
then you receive the map raster image by html and java script languages

Internet Site can be done completely without java script, but it will not be a proffesional site
Java script give power to the site

I suggest that first download the mapserver demo and install it in your server and study it well

later you can make your own internet site

Thank you and best Regards
Mohamed Elshayal
GIS Software Developer
http://www.smartwebonline.com   ( Free GIS Download )