using Mapserver for on-the-fly raster data?

Jeff de La Beaujardiere jeff2005 at SVS.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Wed Jul 6 13:58:05 EDT 2005

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Another approach would be to intercept the WMS requests with a
> script that would take care of extracting desired products in advance
> before turning control over mapserv to satisfy the request.

I was thinking about his approach over lunch. However, it seems that
once I go down this path I might as well skip calling Mapserver at all
and simply let my WMS CGI generate the requested image by calling IDL.
Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible), I don't see
where Mapserver provides the ability to control the raster portrayal.

-Jeff DLB