No labels with tileindex layer

Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN David.Hunter at FNF.COM
Wed Jul 6 17:53:32 EDT 2005

My apologies to all, I was not patient enough for the results to show up
in the browser.  It was working after all, but was incredibly slow.  I
set FORCE to "true" in the labels layer, and it improved quite a bit.

  _____

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:27 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] No labels with tileindex layer

I am putting together a demo app using DHTML, MapServer 4.4.1 CGI,
Tomcat 5 and Win2000.  I am using MapInfo .tab files for vector data,
accessing via OGR.

I would like my app to enable users to turn layers and labels on/off.  I
have the layers working, and started on the labels when I ran into a
problem.  I made two separate layers per layer type, one for the
features and one for the labels, so that they could be turned on/off
independently.  This worked as expected for a point layer.  However, I
have a few layers in tileindexes that I created using the ogrtindex
utility.  These features draw fine, but trying to label them causes
MapServer to go into some kind of unresponsive state.  Here is a snippet
from my .map file to show how I tried to do this:

  # major roads

 LAYER

    NAME         "Roads_Labels"

    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR

    TILEINDEX "roadbase/roads.tab"

    STATUS       OFF

    TYPE         ANNOTATION

    PROJECTION

      "init=epsg:4267"

    END

    LABELITEM "hwyname"

    CLASS

            LABEL

                        TYPE TRUETYPE

                        FONT arial

                        SIZE 6

                        COLOR 255 0 0

                        OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255

                        ANTIALIAS TRUE

                        ANGLE auto

                        FORCE true

                        POSITION auto

                        OFFSET 0 0

            END

     END

  END

LAYER

    NAME         "Roads"

    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR

    TILEINDEX "roadbase/roads.tab"

    STATUS       OFF

    TYPE         LINE

    PROJECTION

      "init=epsg:4267"

    END

    CLASS

      COLOR 255 0 0

      SIZE 2

    END

  END

Is this not possible to do, or is there a workaround or alternative
method?  TIA!

David S. Hunter
Sr. Software Engineer
Fidelity National Geographic Solutions