Serving A Large Archive an openpap-client/wms-server

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 8 15:04:58 EDT 2005

On 7/8/05, jpbonk at aol.com <jpbonk at aol.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
>  Thanks. We have considered dynamic generation of map files.
>
> I haven't yet been able to read up on mapscript, but I'm wondering how
> a user would do a GetCapabilities request it this case.

John,

I don't really know if it is possible to use mapscript to generate a mapObj
and then invoke the mapserver WMS capabilities action on it (much less
getmap).   It might be possible, but I think it is pushing the envelope a bit.
Alternatively, you could write a scripted cgi to intercept the
getcapabilities/getmap requests and prepare a temporary map file on disk,
then invoke mapserv.  This wouldn't specfically need mapscript.

Best regards,