place a point in the map

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Jul 12 16:14:02 EDT 2005

To answer my own question, OGRINFO will return an extent from a VRT ODBC connection.

I used this command in the FWTools shell:

C:\Program Files\FWTools0.9.6>ogrinfo c:\maps\vrttest\facilities.ovf facilities -so

(the -so option provides 'summary only', adding a -ro would open the data in 'read only' mode and prevent the 'Error 4:  Update access not supported...' message)

Here is the data that I got back:

ERROR 4: Update access not supported for VRT datasources.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `c:\cfusionmx\wwwroot\maps\vrttest\facilities.ovf'
using driver `VRT' successful.

Layer name: facilities
Geometry: Point
Feature Count: 91
Extent: (0.000000, 0.000000) - (659989.000000, 5410447.000000)
Layer SRS WKT:
PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 15N",
    GEOGCS["WGS 84",
        DATUM["WGS_1984",
            SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
        UNIT["degree",0.01745329251994328,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",-93],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","32615"]]
DestFacID: String (8.0)
DestFac: String (50.0)
DestFacType: String (20.0)

OGRINFO documentation can be found at http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ogr/ogrinfo.html

FWTools Suite can be found at:  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Hope this helps.

David.

David Fawcett
Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
david.fawcett at moea.state.mn.us
651.215.0200