MySQL integration

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Wed Jul 13 09:47:38 EDT 2005

> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 02:18, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> > We have compiled MapServer with --with-mygis support (MySQL
> 4.1), and
> > are trying to add some data from MySQL tables.  The data was loaded
> > using libmygis (http://jcole.us/software/libmygis/).
>
> --with-mygis does _not_ use the spatial extension of MySQL
> 4.1 and thus cannot
> use spatial data from 4.1 tables. It relies on standard mysql
> column types
> like int, varchar, blob, etc and acts as a wrapper providing
> the needed
> spatial functions itself (that's why it works even with mysql
> 3.x). It stores
> data according to the OpenGIS simple features SQL standard (for which
> shp2mysql is a converter).

Thanks.  I'm a bit confused.  So the libmygis is not supported in
MapServer?

So shp2mysql.pl will work but libmygis will not work?

Underlying question is how can one with a MySQL 4.1 database store and
retrieve spatial data with MapServer?

Thanks

..Tom