"best" data format for attribute searches

Mon Jul 18 08:27:19 EDT 2005

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> AFAIK Mapserver does not use the Mapinfo attribute indexes.
>
> I am trying to perform attribute searches on a 25 Mb Mapinfo file and
> am worried about performance, since the indexes won't be used which
> will mean scanning the whole data file for every attribute search.
>
> What would be a wise format to shift to for this type of operation?
> Or doesn't it make any sense to shift to eg PostGIS because of the
> way Mapserver does queries to RDBMS's?

Bart,

PostGIS works wonderfully. Fully indexed searches (if you have the
indexes), and you can do joins to classify data on rendering, and it has
spatial indexes which speed up rendering like tileindexes do for shape
data. I have been very happy with it. Oh and you can keep some data in
.tab files and some in postGIS if you wish to easy migration.

-Steve W.