Problems with gdal

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 21 09:48:12 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Frederico Lucca <fredlucca at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I'm a new user from MapServer.
> After I compile it, I start to develop with java in linux.
> Well, I have some servlets creating maps and getting information from layers.
> My problem is with tomcat and gdal.
> I can create maps very quickly but when I put a program in looping to
> test the performance, tomcat stops and the last message in tomcat's
> log is:
>
> C [libgdal.so.1+0x195d04] _ZN7TABFile13GetFeatureRefEi+0x1b4
>
> Maybe is a problem with gdal???
>
> Well, any information or help...

Fred,

GDAL and OGR are not really threadsafe, so you need to be
somewhat careful how you use them in multithreaded environments
like Java.  There is a mutex around most use of GDAL for raster
support in MapServer, but I believe that has not been done for OGR.

If you wish, I could try and institute a mutex in the MapServer OGR
module as well, if you would be willing to test it out deployed in your
Java work environment.

Of course, that might not be the actual problems.

Best regards,