historical political boundaries

Joe Bussell joe at OTSYS.COM
Thu Jul 21 12:02:16 EDT 2005

Just for fun I was toying with the idea of playing history back for my
son by demonstrating the changing political boundaries.  Are there data
sets available for political boundaries for the ancient world?   How
about pre-WW1 or WW-2?  How about military buildup like the position of
Napoleon's army over time, or the extent of Atilla's military reach over
time.  Or Phiilip of Macedon and later his son Alexander's land
acquisitions, and the later breakup as the satraps and princes struggled
for primacy and the resulting divided principalities.

Can you imagine watching the world's history playing out in an
interactive map application?  This would be very cool.

Has this been done before professionally or privately?

Cordially,

Joe Bussell