USGS DEM and OGC WMS -- Bug

Julien, Heryk hjulien at NRCAN.GC.CA
Wed Jul 27 09:39:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

This is the first time I get a request to add a USGS DEM to Mapserver.

I would like to use the original USGS format to be able to query the DEM
using the WMS getFeatureInfo.

If I convert the USGSDEM to a simple raster (ex:*.tiff) don't I loose the
elevation data?

WCS is interesting but I can't use WCS for now since our web clients are not
compatible with this format.

Cheers

Héryk

  _____

De : Norman Barker
Envoyé : 27 juillet 2005 03:52
À : Julien, Heryk; MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Objet : RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] USGS DEM and OGC WMS -- Bug

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Julien, Heryk
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 8:17 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] USGS DEM and OGC WMS -- Bug

Hi all,

Has anyone succefully added a USGS DEM's to a Mapserver mapfile?

I would like to build a wms service with some USGS DEM's but I keep on
getting blank page when I do a wms getmap request. The getcapabilities
request seems okay but the LatLonBoundingBox element doesn't show up for
this layer.

Anyone has an idea of what is going wrong?

I checked my Mapserver executable using the "-v" flag  and I have GDAL. I
also checked out what formats are available using the "gdalinfo -formats"
command and I found USGSDEM ( http://www.gdal.org/frmt_usgsdem.html
<http://www.gdal.org/frmt_usgsdem.html>  ) in the list.

Thanks

Héryk Julien

Hi,

why are you using a WMS to serve USGS DEMs, apart from apretty black and
white picture you aren't getting any data!!

MapServer supports the Web Coverage Service (WCS)
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/wcs-server-howto.html
<http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/wcs-server-howto.html> and I am in the
process

of writing a document on how to use it for DEMs (USGS 16 bit geotiffs), and
other formats, let me know if you get stuck.

NormanBarker