Other spatial database development (PostGIS)

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 27 15:44:24 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Ken Lord <kenlord at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found more information that seems to confirm ESRI's intent to block direct
> writing (for example saving edits) of data from ArcGIS to PostGIS and many
> other formats.
>
> FME Suite by Safe Software can read and write directly to PostGIS and many
> other formats. It uses libpq to interact with PostGIS.
>
> However, ESRI's Data Interoperability Extention ... which is Safe's FME
> Suite beaten into submission (into ArcToolBox) ... gives you direct read and
> import capabilities for PostGIS, but no ability to save edits back to
> PostGIS or the other formats. Instead you must place your data into a
> geodatabase which you can then export back to PostGIS using their Export
> Tools.  I assume you must then go back and delete your original PostGIS
> tables manually.

Ken,

Generally speaking FME's format drivers are oriented to bulk reading, or
bulk writing rather than update-in-place, which may explain why the
Data Interoperability Extension using FMEObjects is setup this way.

I don't know if it is ESRI policy to only do editing on ESRI databases or
not, but there are certainly technical reasons why editing on external
databases is hard for a big system with alot of expectations of data
providers.

Best regards,