newbie question about EXTENT

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Wed Jul 27 17:07:55 EDT 2005

EXTENT is the extent of the map in the UNITS of the PROJECTION.

The EXTENT you posted below is in METERS because the PROJECTION is a
projected coordinate system like UTM, Polar Stereographic, State Plane,
etc...

If your map were using a latlong projection then you'd use decimal
degrees for your extent.

-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Douglass Davis
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:00 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] newbie question about EXTENT

Ok, I must admit, I am a PHP/Web programmer not a GIS expert...

But, looking at the mapfile, what are the units used for EXTENT??  I
mean, I know its x and y values, but what do they represent?

For example.  What does this mean exactly, and how does it relate to the

shapefile, and the image output of the mapserver:

    EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000

The docs only say they are x and y values.