PostGIS vs. MySQL spatial in MapServer

Klaus Benndorf benndorf at MAIL.BT-GIS.DE
Thu Jun 2 04:13:43 EDT 2005

Hi,

as Arnulf wrote, we built myWMS as we needed special carthographic functions
for our german customers. But as so often, you do much more than intended
when starting the project. Meanwhile myWMS is a complete map server that
covers a lot of functionality described by OGC/WMS.

We decided to use MySQL, as many of our customers already worked with it. But
myWMS does not strictly depend on MySQL. As a Java servlet, using JDBC, you
should be able to connect to PostGIS as well. Maybe it takes some adjustments
in SQL statements, but I don't think it is too much.

If you compare PostGIS and MySQL, you see, that MySQL offers not so many
functions and some of them are only working on the bounding box of an object.
But it is enough for what we want to do with myWMS.

Looking at the performance, MySQL seems to be excellent. We tested the import
of about 3 Million objects and MySQL was about 30% faster than PostGIS. Maybe
thats due to the fact, that MySQL implements spatial objects in MYISAM , not
in INNODB. MYISAM does not know transactions. So it is very lean and fast.

Also the spatial index in MySQL seems to work excellent. We could not find any
performance leak, i.e. depending on the number of objects, the size of the
database, or the number of concurrent accesses.

I'm going to describe more technical background on myWMS website
(http://www.bt-gis.de/mywms), but it takes a while. Unfortunately we don't
have an english website yet, but I am working on it. Hope it will be
available in about 2 weeks.

Klaus

--
BT-GIS