Shortest route solution

Fri Jun 3 09:29:01 EDT 2005

This has been discussed in the archives search for "router"

In general, this should not be a mapserver function because, the data
(or organization of the data) required is not what mapserver needs or
vica versa. The best (better?) way to do this is to create a separate
application the computes the route and returns an xml document or a
couple of files with a unique name. Then use mapscript to integrate the
results with a map.

I have done this and have a demo at http://imaptools.com/demos1/?tab=2
The router is C code and creates a filename.shp and filename.txt as
results. the PHP code then takes the shapefile and adds it to a layer
already in the mapfile and the driving directions go into the
filename.txt and they are read and displayed under the make.

The biggest issue is that you need data that is good for routing and in
most cases that means commercial data which is very expensive.

This worked for me, hope it helps you get started.

-Steve W.