IIS6 Windows 2003 CGI error

David Shorthouse dps1 at UALBERTA.CA
Sat Jun 4 15:24:54 EDT 2005

Hello folks,

	This is my first posting to the list so I hope I am adhering to your
conventions. After messing around with other applications similar to
MapServer, I finally settled on this one because it is so incredibly
powerful and simple. I just spent the past week working it up for a web
application. Here are my specs:

Windows 2003 Server running IIS6 (all patches installed)
933MHz, 512MB RAM
MapServer 4.4.1 installed through ms441pg.zip package
System DSN ODBC connection to Access 2003 db via OGR connectiontype and
associated ovf connection file

Now on to the issue....

Map mode works flawlessly on my system and my filteritems for the OGR
connection work just dandy. However, when I use browse mode and my
associated template, I occasionally get the following message on the client
side:

"CGI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of
HTTP headers."

This doesn't often happen, but strangely, it will happen all the time if I
add additional fields to the Access db table containing the data being
filtered using the OGR connection. When I delete these fields in the Access
table in question, these HTTP header errors drop off and become less
frequent.

I came across this MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;884764 that appears
to describe the issue but my machine certainly isn't a fast, multi-processor
unit.

So, it appears the problem is IIS6 but why does browse mode choke and map
mode work 100% of the time? Is there something in the IIS Manager (e.g.
Application Pool config, permissions, etc.) that causes this issue?
Unfortunately, I can't use another OS or server app (unless I investigate a
gawd-awful Apache to IIS6 port-map) because of the network infrastructure I
currently manage.

Thanks for any pointers,

David Shorthouse