IIS6 Windows 2003 CGI error

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 5 15:18:54 EDT 2005

Hi David,
 I would suggest trying the mapserver package from
maptools.org/dl<http://maptools.org/dl>
 People have had dll problems with the package for windows downloaded from
other sources in the past couple months, giving the 'http headers' error.
 Place mapserv.exe and all the associated dll's in a folder on the server.
Setup the folder as a virtual directory within your website with 'scripts
and executables' permitted. Be sure to give write access to the location
where the temporary images will be stored. In IIS, add a new web extension
that allows access to the exe and all the dll's.
 Setting up mapserver this way allows you to very quickly switch between
different versions by pointing your website's scripts virtual directory at
the version you want to use, assuming the versions have compatible syntax.
 ---
 In the opposite way I have had the error you're seeing. Browse always
works, but map mode occasionally fails with the 'http headers' error.
 In my case when I query a map, my website generates query results that
include a snapshot of the area queried using mode=map. The failures are
fairly consistant based on where on the map you query, I've found nothing
wrong with the underlying datasets, no invalid geometries. I've used
shapefiles and PostGIS.
 These errors started with version 4 of mapserver, never having happened
with 3.6. I'm also using Windows Server 2003, but saw the same errors using
Windows Server 2000. Unfortuneately map=mode seems to work flawlessly for
everyone else, so the problem remains :) ... I'll be forcing my snapshots to
use version 3.6.
 Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC